Tuesday 1 March 2011

Ladurée - macaroons, macaroons and more macaroons - Dubai

There was one place in London I always wanted to go to but never ended up in - Ladurée. This tiny little café in Burlington Arcade just off Piccadilly looks like my perfect place.

Three tables, hundreds of perfectly formed, colourful macaroons, served by one grumpy looking Frenchman or woman, perfect. However, having been a tiny bit scared of the grumpy looking French waiter and hordes of tourists that stop and admire the cakes I never made it in and thought macaroons would have to wait until the next trip to London. Imagine my surprise when on one of my early morning strolls on the first floor of Dubai Mall I come across a HUGE Ladurée, Dubai style.


Ladurée in Dubai Mall

Being situated in a mall it is tricky to beat the quaint location in Burlington Arcade. However, Ladurée has managed to re-create a tiny corner of Paris next to the glitzy 'Fashion Catwalk'. Suitably placed at the end of the Catwalk, Ladurée is the perfect place to rest your feet after a long day in those Jimmy Choos before tackling the Joseph shop across the road. You can either sit 'outside' at the tables on the green lawn or inside where the perfect old fashioned French decor could have you fooled into thinking you were somewhere in the 8th arrondissement sipping a Café crème while smoking your Gauloises.

I opt for the indoor cafe and as I step in smooth jazz plays gently in the background. This sadly serves to remind me that we're still in a mall and I wish they'd gone for a more French soundtrack. The dark blue velvet chairs with their gold tassels and the dark wood furniture agains grey blue walls with more velvet makes it almost a regal looking place. It could look cheesy but here it just sort of reminds me of an old grandmother's tea parlour, in a nice way! Outside is the more summer-y looking garden cafe with a light green fence and light wooden tables and chairs on a fake lawn with some manicured bushes.


Macaroons and tea at Ladurée

I sit down in the corner and three lovely waiters are quickly at hand. At the table next to me are a couple of a local Emirate women and men, nibbling on their macaroons. I take as a good sign, the locals seem to love Shakespeare and Co which is another favourite so this place must be just as good. I order tea and two macaroons, liquorish and pistachio, that arrive on lovely pink and blue china. The subtle liquorish goes incredibly well with my cup of Thé Oolong la violette, violet tea. Unbeatable flavour combination if you ask me! Pistachio is a classic and doesn't disappoint. Very nutty tasting with tiny, tiny bits of pistachio nuts agains the velvety green pistachio cream, heaven.

Now I love macaroons in any flavour, colour or shape but my lasting taste from today is my amazing violet tea, not everyone's cup of tea (no pun intended!) but if you used to love those odd little parma violet sweets as a child you'll love this. As I leave I linger near the counter admiring all the pretty macaroons and gift boxes while trying very hard not to buy all of it. Why is it that anything pink or mint green with gold embossed writing makes me want it!?

http://www.laduree.fr/

No comments:

Post a Comment